AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Battle With the Evil Mulberry
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Robert W Greif
Posted 11/17/2012 08:06 (#2701715)
Subject: Battle With the Evil Mulberry

Dallas Center IA 515-720-2463

Time to get the mulberry trees out of the south fence line at sister's place.

James who farms just to the south cleaned out the mulberries several years ago. But they have since came back pretty good.
I did ask him about taking out the 'Seen Better Days' fence? His sister who owns the north 80, does not want it out.

I have had fair luck with Roundup. My fence row rig some years had two spot sprayers. One with 24-D for most of the fence. The second spot sprayer was Roundup, for trees.
And I think Roundup works. Just that if a tree gets some size to it, you will not kill the tree.

This year the sale person at the Coop said many people are using Crossbow on fencerows instead of 24-D.
So I decided to use Crossbow.

And if I came to a mulberry I just keep going, spraying the side of the tree as I passed.

Crossbow is pretty good on fencerows. Does not kill the grass. Kills weeds. And kills a few soybeans in the process.

But a couple weeks after spraying that fencerow I noticed something. There was a dead strip on all those mulberry trees in that fence line.
Crossbow might kill mulberries - Dead!

So in the grove, out behind the barn, I tried some of the left over crossbow on the many mulberries coming.
Killed them dead! Top to bottom, ever limb, every leaf - Dead.

I was temped to use the rest of that leftover Crossbow on the mulberries in that fence. It will kill some more beans, and some on the other side of the fence. But I didn't.
Also was going to spray them as soon as my side of the fence was combined. But I didn't.

So I have started to cut them. And I may pull some, if they are not into the fence. Don't want to hurt that falling down fence.

One of my generators is in the loader bucket. A 100' drop cord and a brand new electric chain saw.
I also have a battery powered Sawzall for the in the way limbs.

Matt is going to do some of the cutting. He is also going to do the Tourban treatment [sp] on the stumps.

Next year I will use Crossbow on that fence if James has corn. My side will be corn.
If James has soybeans, I will use 24-D.

Then go back to any signs of mulberry life with Roundup, or maybe a Crossbow & Roundup mix.

Matt was running the camera.
Top picture is me working.

The second pic is the generator on the loader.

Third pic is just how far you can reach with a 100' cord.
Really that hundred footer is too long, too much to roll up. I think I am going to use a 25' cord.

(DSC01087.jpg)

(DSC01088.jpg)

(DSC01089.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC01087.jpg (69KB - 191 downloads)
Attachments DSC01088.jpg (72KB - 204 downloads)
Attachments DSC01089.jpg (78KB - 203 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)