AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

soil structure and health
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

scmn_06
Posted 11/18/2012 07:26 (#2703414 - in reply to #2701694)
Subject: assumptions and other things...

Blue Earth, MN
First, the assumptions being made that I farmed this land and couldn't afford to buy it because of tillage is preposterous! The idea that tillage is the sole reason why one producer can buy ground and another can’t is even more ridiculous! There are way too many other factors ahead of tillage that determine a producer’s success or lack of success.

Second, I didn’t farm this land. A neighbor has. I don’t know why they didn’t purchase it nor do I want to make assumptions. I know both parcels aren’t exactly the best pieces around the area. A lot of water issues. Maybe they didn’t want to own a crappy farm at all time high land prices. I will add, these pieces have produced respectfully well and I think it had a lot to do with the reduced tillage. Very little tile but they drained better than a neighboring piece with system tile.

I could care less what neighbors do regarding tillage, except when the wind is blowing and I am getting sand blasted by blowing soil.

Here is what I meant with my original post. If I was a full width, conventional tillage guy and was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to buy a farm that has been reduced tilled for 20+ years, I would think what a bonus and opportunity! I wouldn’t immediately destroy what 20+ years of reduced tillage has built with an aggressive tillage device. I would at least try some strip till for a few years to see how it performs. Before, some of you blow up at me and say I can’t afford strip till equipment for one farm…we have plenty of custom strip tillers in our area that do a good job for reasonable price.

Last, why is it always assumed the no tillers/strip tillers wear panties and they always get in a bunch??? As Barbara Walters once said “is wearing woman’s underwear part of your turn on?”
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)