AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

anibiotic free pork
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Tommy
Posted 11/17/2012 05:34 (#2701618 - in reply to #2701594)
Subject: RE: anibiotic free pork

Iowa
tjdub - 11/17/2012 01:03

I raise a few every year and I do mean a few. Getting the market premium is still barely break-even around here. You could surely do better if you're close to a city and can talk smoothly :)

Death losses will be near 0 if you can bring in feeder pigs that aren't carrying disease. That's the rub though, I guess.

Two things stand out here:
1) "a few"
2) "premium is still barely break-even"

Doesn't sound very appealing to me. My goal is "a lot" and "make good money". Who wants to be tied down to choring a few for nothing?

I think the rub is that if you have a large enough operation to make it worthwhile to be saddled with the work, you have major investment. So let's say you have a thousand head, and they get sick. You have 2 choices: bury 200 of them ( and lose tens of thousands of $$) or treat them and maybe lose 10-- what are you going to do?

The days of mass-medicating all the time as insurance or a substitute for proper husbandry are over, as well they should be. Walking pens and giving individual treatment to treat the vast majority of problems is more profitable anyway, but it takes a good caregiver.

A few head and break even are two things I have no desire to be involved with.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)