Posted 11/17/2012 18:26 (#2702571 - in reply to #2701395) Subject: Re: new computer. windows 7 screwed up?
Someone earlier in this forum downloaded Google Earth from a shady site and got his computer infected with malware as a result.
But this bootstrapper thing seems to be a recurrent bug in Office 2007, or rather in the SQM component.
It seems to block the installation of most applications, including Windows own updates.
- Click on the Start button, type "regedit" and press Enter to open the Registry Editor (validate if asked for administrator privilege)
Be extra careful not to make any accidental change to the Registry.
- Make a backup of your Registry just in case anything goes sour:
- Select the computer top node (the root of the graphical tree)
- Right-click "Export" or select "Export" in the File menu
- Give a name to the export file and press Enter. It will take a long while.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\Disabled Sessions
- Rename the key 'MachineThrottling' to '_MachineThrottling'
Try running Office again.
If there is no change, maybe reboot and try again.
If still no change, revert back the Registry key to its former name and blame me for the waste of your time!