AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fax and telephone on same line
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 11/15/2012 23:51 (#2699795 - in reply to #2699063)
Subject: RE: Fax and telephone on same line

Southeast Wyoming

The fax machine has no way of knowing it is a fax until the call is answered.  If the answering machine is full (and does not answer), then the fax machine will answer on the 5th ring.  Otherwise, the answering machine will "answer" the call, allowing both the answering machine and the fax machine to determine whether the call is voice or fax.  If some person answers the call, and the fax machine determines it is a fax then it will receive the fax.

(Edited to add:  In essence, the fax machine "monitors" all calls once they are "answered" to determine whether they are voice or fax.  The answering machine does not "monitor" calls that are answered before the answering machine "picks up" the call.)

Unfortunately, my answering machine is slow about determining that I have a fax and it records a couple of beeps.  There is no great loss without some small gain.  I don't always look at the fax machine so the beeps on the answering machine remind me to check for a fax.

I hope this helps.  BTW, my fax, an HP similar to yours, is plugged into a seperate wall jack than my answering machine.  That may affect the recording of a couple of beeps on a fax call, but it gives me a lot of flexibility on where I put the fax machine and the answering machine.

Edited by Gary Lyon 11/15/2012 23:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)