AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The drones are coming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MMiller
Posted 11/16/2012 18:56 (#2700857 - in reply to #2700552)
Subject: Re: The drones are coming

SW Iowa

ohiocutter - 11/16/2012 13:43 I would be filling a second or third planting machine with seed, or maybe be in the field checking seeding depth, cover, ground conditions. Why is everybody so sure these "BTO" sit in the coffee shop talking? Why the resentment against another individual that is driven to do more this year than he did last year? This tractor is very interesting idea that will drive engineers to try other new concepts. Finally electricity being used in Ag!! Imagine the electric drive on the planters, sprayers, harvesting equipment. No more u joints and belts! All those that are so negative to new ideas like the spirit should turn off your computers, go buy a horse and go back to the old ways of farming, unless maybee you are just blowing hard on machinery talk to try to feel like a "BTO". This should be interesting :)

How many acres do you need to farm to justify 2 or 3 planters, that are drones?  We farm 1700 acres with one 12 row corn planter, and 1 30' bean planter, neither have ran at the same time, and we plant timely and raise good crops?  The "coffee shop" was an example of what "farmers" would do if they aren't out running the tractor.  I guess I don't know why you would want the job on the farm of running around filling planters and fixing equipment for a drone to drive.  I used to run around a fix equipment all day long for farmers, and its a lot more rewarding to me to farm, run the equipment on our farm.  I spend many days in the spring running around, hauling fertlizer and filling the planter while my brother and dad run them.  I enjoy that part much less, but it is important and needs to be done. 

When a guy needs two or three planters and not running them, why would that person need to farm more?  Why not spend the time instead of farming more, doing a better job with the current farm?  I can see the guy with one planter and farming 300 acres with the desire to farm more, but come on, why does it have to be more when there's already mulitple planters?

I still fail to see if the drone shuts down, and you have to stop doing whatever(planting, seed tending, etc) how thats better then a employee.  If you stop planting to fix the drone, you have two planters not doing anything.  At least if you have a guy, he at least get in the planter that works so you can get the other one going.

I never said anything about the technology of the drivetrain of the tractor being a bad idea.  I mearly think this is a device that will be bought by guys that have no business farming anymore acres then they already have.

Michael

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)