AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn on corn yield drag?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/15/2012 22:38 (#2699650 - in reply to #2698497)
Subject: RE: corn on corn yield drag? amazing thread!

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I find this is an amazing thread to read.  Initial knee-jerk reactions gradually give way to more realistic comments ("no one answer") to some very interesting and thoughtful comments.

In my opinion there is no one answer. CoC/continuous corn can yield as well as C-B. But it takes a lot more thought, planning and an open mind.  You will not be successful if you try to do it the same way you do in a rotation.  Many places you need to pay more attention to.

Some very good responses as this thread evolved.

One thing about CoC is that I feel it starts with the previous fall's harvest.  Tillage system is also a big element.

CoC can be very trying the first year but it does get easier as you get the hang of it.  Problem is people expect miracles the first year and it usually isn't that easy unless the weather covers the mistakes. After the first year they often go back to knee jerk reactions, "won't work" and give up.

One CoC mistake is mixing all the previous year's residue in the seed zone and then wondering why you didn't get a good stand.

Look at the difference in residue left by a 200 bu corn crop vs a 60 bu bean crop! The difference in residue is staggering.  Residue can be good for the soil but it needs to be managed. In CoC, the residue doesn't have over a year to break down as in a C-B rotation.  It will break down, holding and building soil, and that breakdown accelerates as corn loving microbes build in your soil over a couple years.

Again, no one answer to CoC success but it can be done. The devil is in the details as they say.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/16/2012 00:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)