AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sustainability
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chuck WI
Posted 11/15/2012 22:43 (#2699657 - in reply to #2698477)
Subject: RE: sustainability

David, I know your question is legit and and we discussed what the definintion of sustainability should be. The more we discussed it the more we felt that defining sustainability was putting us in a box and not letting the complexities and varieties of the US farmer be a part of the sustainable process.

I am going to quote a part of the business model we had for our Denver meeting last March.  "Although there are many definitions of sustainable agriculture, the one with the greatest potential for continued progress must be advanced by the food, feed, fiber, and fuel value chain- not directed by the consumer. NISA is born out of a desire among producers for a whole farm sustainability initiative that simplifies the current process of multiple checklists originating from retailers, food processors, and foreign governments. Farmers want to know that sustainable agriculture is not a test and that their progress todate will be credited. It's not a snapshot in time but a process of continuous improvement toward nationally recognized goals and outcomes that producers can work towards to advance their own goals of farm value, succession to future generations, and sustainability."

The group that started this before I was involved and is continuing it now that I am not as involved have spent a lot of time talking to their fellow farmers as well as leaders from around the world. They are interested in doing it right as they have seen it start and fail several times already. The goal of NISA is to keep the markets open both here and abroad and do it in a way that is beneficial for the farmers.

David, I hope that answers your question. I would be glad to discuss it further if you wish.

Chuck

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)