AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for help understanding the cattle business
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 11/16/2012 06:23 (#2699922 - in reply to #2697828)
Subject: RE: Looking for help understanding the cattle business

NE Iowa
I've got a small herd of beef cows and I enjoy having them. I grew up with beef cows and don't know any better. However, financially though I'd be much farther ahead if I never had them. Money wise beef cattle make sense out west but here in the midwest if any field can be planted to corn or beans then there is no way running cows on that acre instead is going to pencil out. I have a couple small pastures that are large waterways or too steep to farm. About half of my hay cows from waterways and other areas that can't be planted. But I still have a hard time making the cows pay their way. I would hate to add up the money I have in feeders, waterers, buildings, concrete, hay equipment, manure spreader, and working facilities. I know some would say beef cows don't need buildings and concrete but I hate seeing cows outside when it's -20 or up to their bellies in mud. I have cows because it is an addiction, almost like a drug. If you're in the midwest and weren't born with this problem my advice is stay away.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)