AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does anyone use there farm semi to haul over the road during the off season?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

IADAVE
Posted 11/14/2012 20:51 (#2697456 - in reply to #2696652)
Subject: Re: Does anyone use there farm semi to haul over the road during the off season?

Remember, If you use a broker they make between 25 and 50% off every load you haul. There are a few smaller local guys that will load a truck with overflow for 15%-20% if you are dedicated.
Remember if you hire a driver your cost per mile will sky rocket over driving it yourself. Your costs if you are average will be around $1.75 for every mile that the truck moves. Whether you are under a load or your driver is just out driving around, and yes I have seen that happen! Even if you get some one to keep your truck loaded figure 30% to the driver ,5% for paperwork,another 5% for workers comp. and SS. 50% for fuel.
Figure another 5% won't pay, ever.That doesn't leave a lot. Remember the 90-10 rule. 80% of your money will be made on 10% of your work. I just got to the point the truck can sit in my drive way until some thing comes along we can make good money on. Basically the truck doesn't leave unless I get enough to bounce home, pay everything, including fixed costs , wear and take my family out for steak.
People forget little things like it costs $100 at least to let a truck run overnight to keep warm or cool.
Be fussy about who drives it. It is common for drivers to charge fuel to the owner and put in their buddies truck. Same with parts.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)