AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does anyone use there farm semi to haul over the road during the off season?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Prohay
Posted 11/14/2012 10:04 (#2696571 - in reply to #2696203)
Subject: Re: Does anyone use there farm semi to haul over the road during the off season?

No Mans Land , Cimarron co. OK.
I was in the trucking business for 30 plus years, I am a farmer but I needed some trucks during harvest and other times , I got a truck then a nicer truck the another nicer truck then by the time I quit buying equipment I was running 3 semis along with 3 flatbeds,3 hoppers,3 wilson pots , an a dry van. I would load my cattletrucks with small square bales of nice alfalfa and ship it to florida,alabama,georgia down that way then I would reload them with calves coming back near here, done that for many years. When harvest came around I would pull certain trucks in to help haul away from combines. I can tell you it is WHO you KNOW out there to keep your trucks running daily. We ran 95% time loaded , kept the empty miles down most of the time . Drivers will make you or break you. I was on call 24/7 , it worked out good becuase my farming was simular to long haul trucking, lots of long hours and lots of paperwork.To be legal in the trucking business today requires alot of paperwork and keeping your trucks loaded you must keep on that phone keeping in contact with your shippers. I did fall into a sweet deal which I always dreamed of getting , got in with a growing yard and a big florida rancher, I would move 18000 to 23000 head of weaned calves 1710 miles oneway and unload within 27 miles from my HQ, I have a washout and a extra big hay barn. I met some big hay an feed dealers in florida and that helps to be able to keep your loaded miles going, empty miles pay nothing , loaded is the key to making it work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)