AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pole building using 2 7/8" oil pipe?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 11/14/2012 06:54 (#2696251 - in reply to #2695894)
Subject: RE: pole building using 2 7/8" oil pipe?

Little River, TX
You are describing my "new" hay barn, more or less.
40' Wide, 125' long, 17' height to truss.

5 reinforced piers to a side. 4" steel pipes for poles, bolted to the piers, this is a whole lot stiffer than drill stem. Upon reflection I would have used 5" steel for the poles. but this was designed by an engineer at a local manufacturing plant and a couple of their mechanics.

Trusses were built on site using stubs on post plus a temporary post to put the bow in the upper pipe.
Pipes the drill stems were welded together for the length.

The sheet metal on the roof is one long piece to go from side to side.
The sheet metal are screwed to real pear lings not local manufactured. These pear lings running the length of the building adds a lot to the strength.
Pear lings on the sides also tighten things up.

I thought about putting in some flying buttresses to take out any side sway. Have not felt the need.

Took two to locate the piers.
To pour the piers needed 4 men who knew what they were doing.
To put up the trusses and pearling took 5 men two welding machines, a rented crane and a couple of cherry pickers or man lifts.

To put the sheet metal on took three roofers, and 3 men on the ground to keep them supplied with material.
Plus at least one flunky and go for to run errands and fetch and carry. We also used two tractors with reasonable good front end leaders.

The only complicated part was finding the time when all the needed men were available. They all had jobs or farms, One farmer friend was an artiest with a cutting torch and another was an artiest with a welder.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)