AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

has anyone else looked at this?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rHiNoBaLlS
Posted 11/14/2012 19:47 (#2697273 - in reply to #2697210)
Subject: Re: has anyone else looked at this?

WC MN
I used to go have a mentor for part of my farm loan and was told my seed costs are too high compared to my fellow classmates. I spend right around $100-$125/acre depending on the hybrid and drop 32.5. I always heard about the guys spending 60-80 dollars an acre and how I need to be like them. OK, so what's the yield I ask? Well, I was told 90-110 bpa. OK, fine then, If I drop 20k that's a totally different ball game!

Point I am making is not everyone is planting 32-36k. Some guys in my neighborhood are running 20-26. Those lower pops drop the seed price substantially. In my fields, you start dropping the pops that low you are really giving up some potential. We have potential for 175 in the good areas so we plant, fertilize and manage for that. Not the other way around.

Whenever I see production costs laid out, I am amazed how low they are. I'd like to know how you store 1 acre of crop for $8. On 195 bpa that comes out to about a nickel. I will take any guy up on that. Our county average for land rent this year was $105. IF that was actually true, I would farm half the county by offering $110. With an county APH of 144 how could you lose? You can't touch anything for under $180 now. Heck, sand is going for $80. Second point is I don't put too much into statistics when they are rolled out like that. Most of the time they are unrealistic.... Well, either that, or I have my head in the sand.........
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)