AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone no-till 30" beans using row cleaners?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/13/2012 21:56 (#2695874 - in reply to #2695777)
Subject: Re: Anyone no-till 30" beans using row cleaners? suggest fixed, not floating row cleaners in stalks

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Ty I am not commenting on brand of row cleaners at all. I think you are correct in that the JD single disc fert coulters will cut the cornstalks. However I would suggest a fixed, unit mounted row cleaner of any brand is better no tilling beans into near 200 bu cornstalks than any brand unit mounted pushed type floating row cleaner, usually with depth bands.

Planting into stalks, a unit mounted pushed floating unit with depth bands will often float OVER the stiff stalks etc rather than parting them and moving them out of the way.

I would suggest a unit mounted, NON-FLOATING row cleaner for no tilling beans into corn stalks, along with some sort of heavier (than std) down pressure springs.

Again this is not a brand thing, it is a type thing, in my experience and opinion.  I know there are folks that no matter what your problem is, the answer is floating row cleaners. However this is a situation where you want a non floating unit mounted row cleaner, located back as close to the vee opener and gage wheels as possible, not 2 ft out front in my experience.

I will add that the place where unit mounted floating row cleaners work best is no tilling corn into bean stubble where you have a realtively smooth, firm surface with no long tough trash (it's all been through the combine) just bits and pieces. No tilling beans into cornstalks is a whole different ballgame.

Good luck.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/13/2012 22:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)