AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hydroponics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

rHiNoBaLlS
Posted 11/13/2012 18:48 (#2695326 - in reply to #2695167)
Subject: RE: Hydroponics

WC MN
We took a few years in our high school to build a hybrid fish farm / vegetable farm. I think the technical term was aquaponics. We had two classes that ran concurrently, aquaculture and horticulture so if you got placed in both of those in on semester we had a significant chunk of time to work on the project. It was a very interesting project and it ran over the course of 3 years. The fish fry at the end of the year was awesome (tilapia). Granted, I would not start a project like that on your first year teaching. Most of us kids did all the research, assembly, and care. We built pretty much everything from scratch When you have 30-45 eager eyes on a project it goes pretty well. Of course there was a few kids there that just wanted to cause trouble/get out of other classes but it is one of the more memorable classes I took. It's amazing to look back and remember all the stuff we built!

And yes, we did kill our first batch of fish.

But alas, my old high school has cut all the shop classes. They don't even have FFA anymore. How sad is that?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)