AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

fall burn down, 2,4-d in cold weather?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mca
Posted 11/12/2012 20:35 (#2693783)
Subject: fall burn down, 2,4-d in cold weather?

Southern Ontario
Hey

Since we started no tilling or coulter tilling some twenty years ago, we have come to realize that a fall burn down of winter annuals works wonders for us. It can be a pain to spray in cold weather but there are many reasons why we like it. for example--Better results on some weeds than a spring treatment. Also cutworm are less attracted to a clean field in the spring. And spring burndown can usually be delayed.

In the past this treatment consisted of Round Up alone, but now our area is starting to get Round Up tolerant marestail aka canada fleabane. We do not have tolerant marestail in our fields yet ----but you never know. I was thinking about adding 2,4-d to the round up but the dealer said it was too cold for the 2,4-d to work.
I know glyphosate works in these temps---- as I do it every year with great results----works slow but great.

Does anyone else have any positive experience with 2,4-d in cold weather? if so what rates would you use for really small weeds?---highs only around low 40's here this week. I would like to spray this week.

Or is there a better additive to my glyphosate? I was wondering about BASF Eragon. or something else? Is there anything that would give soil activity----1/2# of atrazine maybe? My dealers are not able to offer a solution and our weed extenstion/university folk are all away throughout this week at a national weed science society meeting.

Weeds of concern are tolerant marestail, common chickweed, yellow whitlow grass (this weed is a very small mustard-winter annual) all these weeds are currently very small----less than thumbnail size in diameter and some 2-6 leaf dandilion.

We live in Kent County Ontario, just 1 hour east of the great big Motor City, ---Detroit, Michigan. Corn and soy stubble.

Thanks MCA

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)