AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Some thoughts on fungi and nutrients
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

southernokie
Posted 11/13/2012 11:37 (#2694792 - in reply to #2694260)
Subject: Re: Some thoughts on fungi and nutrients

Terry, that is because the BS MS PhD PDF information is for feeding the crop/yield not soil building or feeding the soil to feed the crop for plant health....no where in the academia that I know do they tell you how to trasition a timbered soil into that of a prairie soil as you have donee...I am stil in awe of your root pits! But nature does the same thing here where we trasition timber to native range, so I just try to learn from what she does and try to apply that to crop/forage soil.

erestf,

Intertesting....contibution of VAM to drought tolerace has been demonstrated.....but I think there is a 'false impression' in the literature about that. Take pecan trees, for example, a known host to MF but also a tree with physiology which will prune it's roots and go dormant in response to severe drought....it may take 3 yrs to get those roots back..and I do wonder the importance there of MF.

Ed,
What I have found interesting is the contribution of legumes to soil N bank above what manure alone will do....an example of the soil data from 2012 which Rick Haney ran for us....we could see a visual difference in grass forage with and without the legume despite the same manure treatment over both.

Avg of four test plot soil composite with 2-3 yr white clover history and 3 yr litter history 0-4" depth:

Organic N........% Organic N..........Organic C:N

3 test plot soil tests with no prior clover history, only 1-3 yr litter 0-4" depth

Organic N........% Organic N..........Organic C:N

In my simple mind that is not all clear quite yet, but I do know a winter cover of crimson clover will grow a good sweetcorn crop without much synthetic N needed and perhaps a benefit to the soil not yet fully realized. Soil condition is alos a big reason I think we see a large flush of native legumes the first 2 growing season after converting timber to native range.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)