AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Initial thoughts on Geo Steer...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 11/13/2012 08:26 (#2694525 - in reply to #2694311)
Subject: Re: Initial thoughts on Geo Steer...

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The implement switch thing is an area that bothered me when Ag Leader went to their CAN based displays. Starting with the Insight and following through the Edge, Integra and Versa, it is necessary to use the Application Rate module to toggle the mapping without using the screen.

On the pre CAN displays, PF3000, Advantage etc. it was very easy to tie an implement switch into the display directly without having to purchase other "boxes".

The application rate module is very versatile. It can be used to start/stop the coverage map with an external toggle switch or implement switch as has been mentioned. That switch could be a relay which is triggered by some other device (spray controller for example) which is completely separate.

The application rate module can also be used to monitor a flowmeter or shaft sensor and with the proper calibration will display the applied rate. This application map starts/stops based on product flow.

I use this personally with my planter that has a ground driven starter fertilizer pump. This arrangement does not control the rate but allows the operator to observe the rate and make adjustments as necessary.

Another use for the application rate module is to act as the "go between" an Ag Leader system and a third party device via a serial cable. This is referred to as a serial connection.

For example, a Raven 440 with a 9 pin connector on it can be connected to most Ag Leader CAN displays through the App Rate module. In this arrangment, communication takes place between the Ag Leader display and the Raven display. The Raven still does its former job of controlling the rate of the product application but reports its results back to the Ag Leader display so that the various maps and summaries can be displayed. The Ag Leader sends over the rate requests to the Raven Rate 1 register.

This means that the target rate is sent from the Ag Leader to the Raven and changes the Rate 1 value as if you had done so with your fingers. The target rate can be entered into the Ag Leader "by hand" or by using an Rx map to produce Variable rate application.

The serial arrangment can be used with a variety of third party devices. You cannot have the module perform in a serial manner and observe a separate flowmeter both at the same time. You can do one or the other.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)