AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Got the lute done...thanks to suggestions here, calf gains etc.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/12/2012 02:06 (#2692328)
Subject: Got the lute done...thanks to suggestions here, calf gains etc.

Driftless SW Wisconsin

After suggestions from others here and discussion with my vet, I did not lute the heifers at preg check and weaning on 10/24.  Vet stopped by Saturday afternoon (11/10) and gave the heifer calves the shots, 17 days after separation from bulls. (yes I can and may handle this job myself in the future).

I do appreciate the suggestions from NAT. I suspect that several of them were cycling and bred prior to weaning.

I got all of the weaning calves into the corral with a sweet feed treat and figured I might as well weigh them as I sorted the steers off and then the heifers went thru the chute. I got a chance to experiment a bit using the rfid reader. As I get more confident in using and recording the rfid, I hope to get away from carrying an eartag/wt notebook as a backup.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the group of steers and heifers has averaged 3.11 lb/day gain since weighed at weaning 17 days ago.  I figured they would stall a bit but seem to take right off on hay only. I do not creep them other than a couple buckets of treat grain over that time. It makes life a lot easier if they develop a sweet tooth and learn to come into the corral when they see the white 5 gal pail.

One steer was up at 4.12 lb/day.  Some of these calves are shown in this picture I posted earlier.

Saturday was a record high temperature for Nov 10th. Sort of the calm before the winter sets in as it is now. There was a lot of corn still standing in the county, especially custom harvested corn, that got taken out in a rush the past few days ahead of today's 2" of rain and falling temperatures as the cold front moves in and the ground freezes for the winter. Good to have that moisture to soak in first.

I was looking over the cow/bred heifer group on Saturday and snapped a picture of a heifer. Not as interesting as Garvo's picture but I really like this 4-legged heifer.

Thanks again for the education on the waiting period for the lute.

Jim

Edited by Jim 11/12/2012 02:10

(IMG_1448_some_weaning_calves_102712.jpg)

(IMG_1479_bred heifer 111012.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1448_some_weaning_calves_102712.jpg (59KB - 260 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1479_bred heifer 111012.jpg (81KB - 273 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)