AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Got the lute done...thanks to suggestions here, calf gains etc.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/13/2012 21:25 (#2695766 - in reply to #2694655)
Subject: RE:Once upon a time

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Mr Demster, yes I did discuss the lute shot timing with my vet largely due to your post here. I thank you for that which is largely why I made this followup post.

As far as having to put down a bwf yearling heifer who tried to calve a too large calf after grazing corn with the steers yes that is true.  I made a mistake as part of my learning process and paid for it. 

However how many folks here have never made a mistake with cattle?  Perhaps this bwf would have had trouble calving anyway. I've had calving problems with a high priced show heifer I bought that never grazed corn at all.   I suspect almost everyone with cows has had calving problems at one time or the other with no connection withgrazing corn at all.

On this bwf, and that was several years ago, I could have kept quiet about it and not suffered the "I told you so" that you and some others seem to take great pride in pointing out. However I felt a need to be honest about it and point out that grazing pregnant cows, especially heifers on standing corn may cause problems in a public post. Again opening myself for criticism like yours even 3 years later.

One of the problems with trying something new is that there is a learning curve. And mistakes. The only way to avoid mistakes - and the I told you so criticism that comes with them - is to never do anything different.

I will leave it at that. You get to once again say I-told-you-so from 3 years ago.  I won't ask about your mistakes.  I will again say thank you for the lute shot advice.

Jim

Edited by Jim 11/13/2012 21:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)