AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grain Drying Efficiency
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 11/11/2012 17:34 (#2691345)
Subject: Grain Drying Efficiency

Morris, IL
Looking into grain drying options for next year. Were a smaller operation so can't justify big drying system with legs and tower dryers. Looking at horizontal dryers, both full heat and vacuum cool along with a blower system. Looking at mostly Brock and maybe Sukup. Brock we have dealt with in past has been great. Sukup would be new to me but i'm told dealer service is good as well. Looking at the SQ16E from SuperB and TC163 from Sukup. Both are vacuum cool for fuel efficiency and I think i like the idea of a mostly cooled finished product before storage bins. Next best would be full heat model with roughly same capacity. Third and probably what we'll end up with is stir-ator drying bin.

So my question is how much more efficient is a vacuum cool over a full heat or pressure cool? And also how much more efficient are they then in bin stir-ator systems? If you do care to share any figures, please note if your on LP or Natural Gas, maybe price paid if you remember as well. Would also be interested in if that includes other bin fans, blowers, legs, stuff like that.

Are their any other advantages of Horizontal dryer over In bin dryers like decreased shrink when drying? Our in bin systems dry for around 1.18% per point removed, per bushel. I know i've seen guys say they have gotten as low as .8% per point removed, per bushel with towers which i believe are very similar to vacuum cool horizontal dryers. Is that something that should be consider or is it mostly just luck of better quality corn?

Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by NEILFarmer 11/11/2012 17:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)