AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crop seed company
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

roo
Posted 11/12/2012 07:50 (#2692452 - in reply to #2692283)
Subject: Re: Cover crop seed company

Cullom, Illinois
You guys miss understood my post. Let me explain. I see lots of cover crop fields in my area with a half stand at best. The big push around here is to apply cover crops by plane. But they just won't grow. Our heavy clay soils, plus drought, make for very thin stands. To be done right, cover crops should be behind wheat so they have time to grow for enough time to do any good. But isn't wheat a cover crop in itself. And one that you can sell????

The farmers I see using cover crops in my area are also the ones that alway tend towards untraditional types of farming. Not that they aren't successful. Many do quite well. But what always confuses me are the guys that refuse to say...spray a fungicide or scout for soybean aphids. They poo poo the whole concept as too expensive or just someone trying to get into their pockets. Yet they will spend $40-$50 per acre on a half stand of Italian ryegrass that was sold to them as the second coming of christ. They farm swygert and bryce type soils and think that a four inch long tillage radish is going to fix their compaction problem that started 20 years ago when they began using a heavy disk as their only tillage tool.

I'm no expert and I do not claim to be. Cover crops have their place and if done right, I'm sure they help control weeds and provide good soil tilth. Just don't try to sell me on the idea that a farm with 10 other problems that need addressed to get back to top production will suddenly be fixed by a cover crop. I'm not buying it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)