AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1066 IH oil useage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pickle
Posted 11/10/2012 10:32 (#2689064)
Subject: 1066 IH oil useage

Overhauled a 1066 for a guy in mid June,he has complained about oil consumption since the work was done.Approximately one gallon of oil in six to seven hours of use.We are using case-ih 15-40 oil.The turbo does not seem to be an issue.Starts good,no blow-by,the horsepower seems to be allright for what he has been using the tractor for.It does have a slight blueish haze out the exhaust when running ,but the stack is not wet.The tractor now has about 85 hours on it since the work.I have been trying to get him to put a larger load on the engine in hopes that it will dry up.I don't have a dyno,or I would use that to work it.The field work is basically done here,but maybe he could beg or borrow a smaller chisel plow to put the tractor to work.The tractor is mainly used for light duty,auger work,PTO uses,and general chores. Questions? Is it to late to try something like a John Deere break in oil? What exactly is a break in oil? I've personally never used it. Is it just a light weight oil? Should I just keep hoping that the more the tractor is used and the harder the load is applied that it will come out of it? Am I doomed to have to tear it back down and rering it? Would any of the snake oil products help?STP or a Lucas product seem like they would be better for an old and tired engine to help on oil useage.Even if I put new rings in,I'm not sure how I would get them to seat without a fairly heavy load.There sure won't be much chance of a workout thru the winter months.Does anyone have a preferred set of rings that they like over someone elses?This was not a Case-IH overhaul set.,However,I have used this supplier many times and have had very good luck with their products.Their advise is to keep using it with a heavier load,But I can tell that if the engine has to come back apart that I will probably be left on the hook for all the labor involved.While the supplier would hopefully stand for all the parts and maybe some of the labor it is still disappointing when something like this happens. I even had one oldtimer suggest dusting the intake with Bon-Ami!! While I laugh at that suggestion,is there any truth to that old wives tale?? Any thoughts or ideas are welcome. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)