AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How would you prep a car for private sale?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 11/10/2012 09:45 (#2688980)
Subject: How would you prep a car for private sale?

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

My Aunt died October 4, and I finally have the title to her car as the executor of her estate.  I have the car advertised, but have done nothing to make improvements to what I consider a good car.  I was surprised yesterday that a hog farmer who traveled a long distance thought the car looked "rough".
I used to raise hogs, so I meant not disrespect to those who do, but this was a very nice guy, good to talk to, and used to conditions I remember well from my personal relationship with hog raising in the past.  He said something about spots on the carpet, which would have been the last of things I would think was a problem with this car.  I would be concerned with the power train and body condition, knowing that interior problems are easy to remedy.

My question regards how much expense might be worthwhile in getting this car in a better condition to sell.  I learned that you can buy new carpeting for this car online for around $150, but it would have to be installed, of course.  My Aunt's personal effects were gone through by someone, her cell phone and extra keys were missing.  I only have one key, but could buy a pendant for remote start and door locking online for $69, and could program it myself.

So, is it worth it to spend some money that possibly could help the sale, and how much?  I have the car priced at a lower book value according to Edmunds and Kelly blue book, so probably not a lot of leeway to go to great expense.  I would be interested in comments in what you would expect when looking at an estate car with no major defects.

And yes, I do have a classified on NAT, so no need to suggest that.       

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)