AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Time for Concrete to set up before frost/freeze
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

BOGTROTTER
Posted 11/10/2012 09:37 (#2688968 - in reply to #2687466)
Subject: Re: Time for Concrete to set up before frost/freeze

Kingston,Mi
I ask my contractor the same question, he will likely get the bid for the wood fired boiler, did not have an answer. Seems like it would work since the thermocouple is already buried in the concrete and the maximum heat in the slab supplied by the boiler could be specified. My thoughts on pouring concrete in this circumstance were changed since we would not be placing the concrete on a cold, conductive surface (compacted sand) but on a insulating, non conductive surface ( 2inches of 25 psi foam board) Hoover dam was cooled for many years after construction to get rid of excess heat from concrete hydration by cold water piped thru the mass in pipes laid for that reason alone.

Our weather has moderated since the pour on Thursday (as forcast by several weather procastinators), the concrete temp. before we covered it was 45 degrees at 8:30 PM., yesterday at 7:30 AM,the temp was 70 degrees, at 4:30 PM it was 80 degreees and this morning it was 70 degrees with a ambient temp of 44.

Our NRCS cold weather concrete plan has 3 levels of response to different tempreture projections. Its address is: http://www.mi.nrcs.gov/technical/engineering/mi_eng.html when you get to this point the screen should read "Training Modules" look down thru the listing for "optional cold Weather Concrete Plan", there are reprints of industry articles on concrete in cold weather, use of admixtures etc.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)