AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

RID depth gauge wheels??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 11/22/2012 11:55 (#2710861 - in reply to #2686725)
Subject: RE: RID depth gauge wheels??

Buster 50 - 11/8/2012 21:00 I was at a Prescion Planting meeting last week when the area man started saying that they were only good on the CIH planter because they have a shoe. He thought that they would cause poor depth control because of sidewall collapse. When I asked if they were using it in notil, he could not answer. Seems like the RIDs were all the rage at the national notill conference. What are you seeing? Anyone do a split planter comparing the 2? TIA

And 15 years ago, all the rage at Lessiter's conferences was about how many waves you had on your coulters ;-)

The RID gauge tire concept has been heavily promoted for JD/Kinze/White planters by Martin Industries, Ag Spectrum, et al., and those who parrot those lines.  To be fair, the RID does greatly reduce sidewall compaction since it lets the soil 'bubble up' as the blades rotate up out of the soil.  The downside is poor seed placement, due to the sidewall collapse before the seeds have come to rest in the bottom of the furrow.  Which is the greater evil depends a lot on soil conditions, and how else the planter is configured and adjusted, and whether you get a rain soon after planting (rain hides a world of mistakes -- note that I said 'hides,' not eliminates the effects).

There are some careful observers who have concluded that RID tires are definitely to their advantage, such as Steve Groff, and I respect his viewpoint completely.   There is also a long list of people who tried RID gauge tires and removed them and swore they'd never do that again -- these people often stay quiet, rather than being shouted down by the RID proponents.

If you do choose to run RID gauge tires on these planters, one thing that you can do (at least on Deere) is to run the 'straight' seed tube that drops the seed somewhat farther forward. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)