AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Radish in wheat ? Ed Winkle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

AR Plowboy
Posted 11/9/2012 09:41 (#2687516 - in reply to #2686568)
Subject: Re: Radish in wheat ? Ed Winkle

East Central Arkansas
Todd I don't really have a lot of experience with them and none raising them in wheat for harvest. What I have seen that being farther south in warmer climates than some of our northern friends you might have more trouble killing them. I don't know how long yours have been planted or how far along they are but you need to be sure and try to get them killed before they start flowering. I don't remember all the specifics with the ones I have raised but I do remember they were not easy to kill if they don't winter kill. If they don't get pretty good size on them and some big radishes they probably aren't going to winter kill around here. I am located in East Central AR. If they are still small the freezes that we have want normally tend to kill them. I only have experience from two years and just small plots. The first year I had some we had a wet fall and was late getting the crop out and I only had some small hand sowed plots. The second year I got some planted after harvest but it was so dry I ended up laying some poly pipe back out and watering them up. I didn't get them up to a stand as soon as I would have if I would have planted into moisture. These survived the winter and began to grow again when we begin getting warmer weather. They begin to start blooming out sooner than I would have thought they would have. I think we probably had a wet spell and I didn't get sprayed as soon as I planned on. I sprayed Roundup Powermax at 22 oz or more, FirstShot or either Harmony Extra at 1/2 oz and 8 oz of dicamba. This mix didn't kill them. I ended up coming back with Gramoxone and Reflex. If I would have waited that year the back water and the carp would have taken care of them. I have a few small fields planted again to them this year. Most of them are just getting to a good stand but I have one 5 ac plot that have some size on them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)