AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Working Facilities
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

play in the dirt
Posted 11/7/2012 23:44 (#2685214 - in reply to #2683624)
Subject: RE: Working Facilities...I'll brag (pics)

south central IOWA
Haha. I like mine. Nothing fancy and not sure if it's the kind of pictures you're looking for but here they are. I tried to detail them for you. Works good for that 30-40 head size. Flow is the biggest thing and if you can make them think they are going back to where they just came (that was safe) will help the most.

I get them down into the small 1/4 acre lot from the calving pasture. They are trained to go in there since it is the way I move them into a different pasture during the summer. So they feel safe going in there from a big area. From there it easy to run them into the pens. Put them into the bigger back pen first (30'x55'). From there my gate opens into that pen (not quite half way across). Now that makes sorting easy because they think they can go back to the 1/4 acre lot but they can't. If you goof or as you get fuller, put some forward into the smaller pen and tub. The 10'x10' pen works to put 1 cow or a couple calves in to sort even more and can hold them in there by the gate that swings 180*.

Once sorted and in the smaller working pen (25'x25') the flow to the tub makes them turn 180 and it makes them think they're going back where they just came once again. Once in the tub it's hardly necessary for the squeeze gate but does help. The long crooked alleyway to the chute helps with keeping it full (so forward movement is encouraged) plus the 45* bend offers that last bit of hope of freedom by offering them one last "jook" before you "jive" with the headgate.

The alleyway is 25-26" wide. I have a 7 year old Simmental bull weighing around 2300-2400lbs go down it just fine a few weeks ago. He didn't however, fit through the headgate that measures 24" wide at the top.

Sorry to brag and go into so much detail.......

(Working facilities.jpg)

(Working facilities2.jpg)

(Working facilities3.jpg)

(Working facilities4.jpg)

(Working facilities5.jpg)

(Working facilities6.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Working facilities.jpg (85KB - 42 downloads)
Attachments Working facilities2.jpg (82KB - 50 downloads)
Attachments Working facilities3.jpg (103KB - 42 downloads)
Attachments Working facilities4.jpg (103KB - 46 downloads)
Attachments Working facilities5.jpg (80KB - 42 downloads)
Attachments Working facilities6.jpg (92KB - 50 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)