AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Crockpot Recipes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Chimel
Posted 11/7/2012 02:30 (#2683254 - in reply to #2683131)
Subject: Re: Crockpot Recipes

There are some ideas in the "cooking wine" post. I don't have a crockpot but I like slow-cooked beef stew or sauerkraut in wine or beer.
Venison or bean recipes work great for crockpots or the oven too, although you need to soak beans the night before, which takes like a good 60 seconds extra to prepare! ;)

I know only European recipes, like cassoulet (baked beans with andouille sausage), baeckeoffe, beef Bourguignon, beef Stroganoff, beef Miroton, daube Provençale, borscht, carbonade, osso buco (veal), Irish stew (lamb), choucroute (sauerkraut in white wine with pork). Other cabbage, vegs and meat recipes in broth would work well too, like pot-au-feu or potée (several variants). Some of these recipes may require separately cooked pasta, rice or potatoes, a great alternative for such starchs is parsnip, which supports slow and look cooking without losing texture.

Since winter is coming, you can also use the crockpot to prepare some wholesome soups, for instance a Scottish soup with peal barley, lentils, split peas, some vegs and a cheap piece of meat such as oxtail for flavor, or a green split peas and bacon soup (although I personally prefer split peas as a mash rather than a soup), "soupe à l'oignon" (onion soup, you add croutons and shredded Swiss cheese just before eating, traditional midnight snack, but works great before too ;). Fish chowders are probably out, as fish should not cook for long.

I guarantee all of these recipes are delicious and would be great for the crockpot too, but they need to be adapted for it, I never use crockpots.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)