AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I don't understand the rationale behind selecting optional unit crop insurance?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Newguy
Posted 11/6/2012 22:16 (#2682608 - in reply to #2681637)
Subject: Re: I don't understand the rationale behind selecting optional unit crop insurance?

Renville Minnesota

Have been enterprise units for 3 years now.     With production hail also.      Cheaper enterprise subsidizes the additional hail coverage here.

Production hail is a no brainer in our small part of the world.    Got smoked with white baseballs in july 2011 on half our farm.   Production hail, I'll just say I cannot understand how the insurance providers can make money on that product......   Collected nothing on enterprise units, had adjuster run numbers if we would have collected anything on optional units, they would have paid the same as enterprise = 0.    If your agent does not understand production hail, find one that does.

Though, I will say, if i put 20-30 bucks an acre away for every year I farmed instead of buying crop insurance, I would probably come out even or if that money was invested wisely (good luck), it would smoke premiums paid over a lifetime.......  Im just not that organized, or have good luck investing in things other than the farm..... so far. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)