AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hogs VS Cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

farmerrob
Posted 11/4/2012 20:47 (#2678564)
Subject: Hogs VS Cattle

Just looking for others advice. I know the situation with hogs with 80% controlled by 3 corporate owners. I have always like farrowing sows and selling feeder pigs and my youngest decided she wanted to raise some pigs. So we got a couple of sows now and there is a nearby market to sell feeder pigs at plus I do like raising my own meat and have found others like to buy off the farm too. I have done this low input to see if she really enjoyed it and well, I have found I missed it too. If we are going to stay with this I need to invest a few dollars in it. Now we also have the goats which i enjoy a lot. But I am wondering if I should be investing in cattle rather than hogs. We are small time. Our best goal would be 10 sows tops or 30 cows. I have went through what I need to make the pigs workable at this size. I have estimated the cattle inputs too. At this point in time in the process of starting up cows or pigs, both would require about the same amount of cash. the cows would be more complimentary to the goats and a lot of what I would need to do for cattle would work for the goats too. Which would you invest in? Just curious how others look at this and think about things. Thanks for sharing your insights!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)