AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

twin row corn observation and ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

secondcomp
Posted 11/13/2012 04:03 (#2694352 - in reply to #2675998)
Subject: RE: twin row corn observation and ?

Ontario
Planted my first twin row corn this year. Was on plowed/cultivated ground following wheat with NPK broadcast but no starter. SW Ontario. Planted April 25-29. It was very cold at that time and there was certainly some cold emergence issues. That combined with a pop chart error on the unit resulted in populations in the 27-30k range rather than intended 32-34k. This year that may well have been a good thing. I was not sure what to expect but was pleasantly surprised with the result.
Was warned combining may be difficult but I found the twin actually combined as well as single row and with less cob loss due to the wider wall of material coming in. I would say it was good to match planter/header width so it was always on center.
Where corn was doubled up or broken down it was a bit tougher to see the row than regular down corn.
We had about a month of no rain but were very lucky to catch two timely rains.
Best twin field ran 207bu dry. Worst field was 193. I did not have a twin/30 side by side unfortunately.
Best indirect comparison I have is with the farm that was planted on same day with a Kinze 30" single and 165lb dry 2x2 starter. Best area of that farm with starter but same P9910XR variety was 18-20bu less than best area of twins (approx 220's vs 240's on monitor). Not a good comparison but rather an observation. The twins seemed to be more consistent and have bigger cobs.
Here's the final kicker, the twins were planted with a Great Plains 1510P Precision DRILL with Keetons and V closing wheels. Plants wheat, beans, corn etc. on 7.5" row spacing with a singulation meter on each row. It had some quirks to figure out at first and I was concerned with its ability at depth control but with the results I think it did great.

Have added liquid starter to the drill now and for next year would like to find a way to add dry starter between the twin rows and half section shutoff clutches. Variable rate would be great as well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)