AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

twin row corn observation and ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

runningbehind
Posted 11/3/2012 15:17 (#2675998)
Subject: twin row corn observation and ?

NC ND
Finally got done with my best looking corn field which happened to have my 30" and twinrow plot in it. I had posted pictures of ears from this field earlier and kernal counts were looking fantastic for this area. From the side-by-side on the very best ground of the field the single 30" rows won by 2 bushel. 182 bu to 184.

However on the bottom of the rise the side-by-side that had some drown out in it the twins had an 8 bu advantage. Looking at the yeild map it seemed like the 30" rows would spike higher and drop quicker. Twins were more consistent.

Test weights were the same at 59.5 to 60 pounds and moistures were similiar at 17.2 to 17.75. Stalks were greener in the 30's.

On another interersting note, had a field that normal drowns out, dropped the population by 4K through the center expecting I would loose it, but that 10 acres popped right out on the map as yielding with the best ground in the field. Map crossed through higher ground into the (normally) drowned out flat.

Would it be alright to think I can expect less variability from using twins this far north? Would you think twins at the same population would do better in a dry year than singles? Seed salesman is wanting to try some different varietys (flexed, vs fixed) at different populations to complement the twins if he can get any seed shook loose.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)