AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Please explain to me how a flex draper is going to help save beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

blakezr2
Posted 10/24/2012 09:13 (#2658279 - in reply to #2657700)
Subject: Re: Please explain to me how a flex draper is going to help save beans

WC Iowa
Wheat why do you hate the draper head? You keep saying the "big drapper guys" so i assume you just think people are just buying them as a status symbol and your are just angry. I can guarantee that is not why 99% of us draper owners have one. True that they can have sickle loss just like auger heads but in short beans you can run the reel lower to the cutter bar and back and really push the beans through the sickle and to the belts so they dont pile up and sit on the sickle that causes two more kinds of sickle loss - the pile on the cutting bar is now being rubbed by the sickle so they just keep falling out and also it is blocking some of the cutting area causing the standing beans to be have a poorer cut and to bend over before they are cut causing more loss plus you leave more stragglers that never get cut. SO in short beans a dapper head is FAR superior to an auger head.

They dont always save lots of bean but they never cost you any. I dont know how many beans it has saved us and frankly i dont worry about quantifying it in a number, i just know its better. I can guarantee there are places it has saved 3 bu per acre and in perfect conditions it dosnt save much, but the drier and shorter the beans the more it saves and i get more done in a day.. So just the fact that it might save me some beans and help offset some of the extra expense that it costs means that get that plus a more productive combine plus some grain savings., pretty much a win win.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)