AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Please explain to me how a flex draper is going to help save beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

TrentonKY
Posted 10/24/2012 07:28 (#2658051 - in reply to #2657569)
Subject: RE: Please explain to me how a flex draper is going to help save beans

Trenton, KY
The first draper I ever rode behind was in 2004 and the operator was not cutting beans, but rather a heavily lodged wheat field. Now, he wasn't setting the woods on fire for speed, but he never missed a beat because between the reel being how good it is on a MacDon and the drapers feeding so smooth he was able to just move along as much as the combine would handle. All I could think of was that, "man if this was me I would be having one heck of a time with our auger head"! My Dad has been against my brother and I ever since then because he has continually said a draper just couldn't be worth the extra money. However before we started beans this fall Dad took a notion to trade for a flexdraper, and I have now cut 220 acres of double crop soybeans with it and it is everything that everyone says they are. You just barely want to touch the beans with the reel, plus once they're cut there's no auger flailing around beating them and they're taking a ride to the feederhouse. No joke, the beans you see on top of our feederhouse have gotten there from the front feederhouse drum engaging the crop and a few beans are "splattering" up through the crack between the feederhouse and the field tracker assembly. I have never fed a combine so smooth except in corn and you can really push the machine because you can load it so consistently. I'm a fan!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)