AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

VFD question??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

nhermanson
Posted 10/20/2012 16:15 (#2651563 - in reply to #2651404)
Subject: Re: VFD question??

Central, IA
I know you can run a 3 phase load with a single phase power supply using a VFD. The point I was making was that the load in the OP's message had to be a 3 phase load if a VFD was involved.

Energy savings is not my motivation on my ventilation. Over the last 5 years I have converted all of our turkey finisher buildings to tunnel ventilation. I have accumulated 150 52" fans (27,000 cfm) that have a 1.5hp single phase motor on them. I would like to be able slow the speed of 1 fan per building in the winter time to reduce the minimum ventilation rate. Sure I can find a $200 VFD to work if I switch the motor out to 3phase for another $300. $500 isn't terrible. But then I get to multiply that by 16 buildings and the time it takes to rewire all of them and hook up a control system.

In a perfect world, I would just have 5-36" fans along the side wall for cold weather, but that's not easy (or cheap) either.

Edit:
We have some 3/4hp single phase fans on a variable speed controller in our brooderhouse. Ironically the power usage increases as you slow down the motor. I believe they are just reducing the voltage to the motor, but haven't ever looked into it that serious.

Edited by nhermanson 10/20/2012 16:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)