AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

help me understand cattle farmers mentality
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 10/4/2012 01:23 (#2622659)
Subject: help me understand cattle farmers mentality

Rivers, MB
Over the years, we have taken on different pieces of land that have been owned/rented/farmed by cattle farmers for hay land. Not always, but often, those pieces of land have not been fertilized properly when taking into account the P and K removed by feeding/selling the hay. I talked to a cattle rancher today that had a piece of hay land for more than 10 years and had never fertilized it ever. he said it always yielded well so he didn't bother fertilizing. Do many cattle farmers not understand the "feeding" side of grass/crop production. I find it interesting that they will feed their animals and not their hay land.

I'm not painting all cattle farmers with the same brush. There are many very excellent cattle farmers that have a wholistic view of agriculture that do an excellent job of all parts of their farm. I'm glad they do a great job of it because I'm not an animal guy. If I had animals, I'd be doing lots of research to make sure I was feeding them properly. Just trying to understand those that don't. Because I seem to encounter more than just an insignificant amount of them.

Edited by mennoboy 10/4/2012 01:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)