AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problems with baldor electric motors.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

cnj4bucks
Posted 10/3/2012 07:22 (#2620975)
Subject: Problems with baldor electric motors.

central ohio
The last two baldor electric motors have not seemed to hold up very well. The latest problem has to do with the centrifugal switch on the back of the motor. The dealer I get the motors from said baldor has been having problems with this. The contact points fused together and caused one of the start capacitators exploded. I replaced it and the switch but the motor doesn't seem to have any power anymore. I can only run the pit screw auger it is on about half to two-thirds full or it starts to slow down then quits if I don't stop feeding the auger. I checked the run capacitators and they all read within range. Any other ideas, or is the motor just shot now. This is a 7.5hp 1ph motor running a 12 inch screw with a 5-1 gear reduction box between.I'm going to be pretty angry if I am buying a new motor to replace a three year old motor that was only used two months out of the year.Anyone have any recommendations of a different manufacturer that they like?Thanks Jeff

Edited by cnj4bucks 10/3/2012 07:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page
98mxz583
Posted 10/3/2012 07:28 (#2620984 - in reply to #2620975)
Subject: Re: Problems with baldor electric motors.

Traverse City MI
The last couple of Baldor motors we have gotten have been junk. One lasted less that 5 minutes before it smoked. Baldor wouldn't stand behind it either.
E718
Posted 10/3/2012 07:51 (#2621020 - in reply to #2620975)

Sac & Story county IA
It sounds like part of the winding isn't pulling.
Generally, about 10 hp is the point of throwing the motor away and getting a new one or having the present motor rewound.
Baldor used some bad switches. It is pretty amazing that the company isn't admitting the problem and making the customers whole again. The brand is going to be thought of as bad instead of good. They aren't going to be around long doing that.
tj_farms
Posted 10/3/2012 07:56 (#2621033 - in reply to #2620984)

Ohio
I've had 2 Baldors that lasted slightly longer. Baldor would not warranty mine either!
cz4586
Posted 10/3/2012 08:02 (#2621049 - in reply to #2620975)
Subject: RE: Problems with baldor electric motors.

NE Indiana
We bought 4 single phase 10 hp Baldor's when we added on to our grain handling system 4 years ago. 3 of those 4 motors failed within 3 years. Baldor wouldn't do anything about it, we repaired them at our expense.

I've bought a couple Daytons since then and they haven't failed
Chuck
Posted 10/3/2012 08:13 (#2621071 - in reply to #2621020)

Wolcottville,Indiana
I had the switches go out of some 10 hp motors and the motor shop said it was a bad design and replaced them with no troble after that on some fairly new Baldors, I have 10 hp Baldors that were new in the early 80's with no problems, on the other hand when I put in an sir system with two 7 1/2 on it they drawed to many amps and tripped breakers, the Baldor VP at the NFMShow said they probaly came off the line with winding cut too short, Gave his card to the bin supplier who put the replaced motors and they worked good. but VP would not live up to his word and warranty the motors and the bin guy ate the new motors.
hillfarmer
Posted 10/3/2012 08:22 (#2621090 - in reply to #2621049)

I place "Baldor"motors in the same category as the Good year tires, up until the last few years

If the Grizz did not show up for a while I would say till now

Baldor is not good for there word on Warranties

Shame when a $870.00 motor only last for 20 hours
TJH
Posted 10/3/2012 08:26 (#2621098 - in reply to #2620975)

NEIA
Bearings going bad seem to be my complaint with them. 2 to 3 years on factory bearings. Had one that made a noise from new. Changed bearings and now runs quite. Put a new one on a grain leg, thought I was good for a long time. 2 years later we were dropping it down to replace bearings. Have a couple more that have been replced.
Posted 10/3/2012 08:58 (#2621151 - in reply to #2620975)

Same here. Had two 3hp three phase last literally an hour on one and two years on the other on 6" unloads. Can't remember what the made in Mexico motor is on there not but it's been 5 years or so. Unload ends were new in 05' so at least that long. BTW the warranty was over a year when they went out because............we put the bin together before we filled it!!!!!!!! Didn't use the motor for a year. Stinks
Coastal
Posted 10/3/2012 09:07 (#2621157 - in reply to #2620975)

I second the bearing problem. All my new motors since 08 have had new bearings put in them. Some didn't even last a season before they start to whine.
ayrporte
Posted 10/3/2012 10:22 (#2621261 - in reply to #2620975)

Eastern Ont
http://www.reliableplant.com/Read/27628/ABB-to-acquire-Baldor
Things didnt start going south since the buyout????
Send them some feed back
http://www.baldor.com/about/contact.asp
Phone (479) 646-4711
bob1968
Posted 10/3/2012 11:26 (#2621363 - in reply to #2620975)

Had one of two identical 10 hp single phase fan motors fail this year. The starting switch went out and chewed up the windings and it was cheaper and quicker to buy a new replacement than to repair the old one. Motor was 5-6 years old but doesn't get used more than a couple of weeks a year. This is the newest motor on the farm and worked last year but wouldn't start this year.
Borderline
Posted 10/3/2012 20:55 (#2622010 - in reply to #2621363)

I had a shaft break on 10 HP Baldor motor. It broke on the inside of the bearing, Electrician said he had never seen that before, must be a flaw from factory.

poor loser
Posted 10/3/2012 21:04 (#2622040 - in reply to #2620975)

north central ky
We had our 40 hp on top of the leg go out after one season because it started humming to where you could here it from the ground. They did warranty that one but this year the 10 hp on our overhead conveyor is making the same noise and we will be on our own for that motor.
ayrporte
Posted 10/3/2012 22:32 (#2622280 - in reply to #2620975)

Eastern Ont

This is the reply I received from Baldor this afternoon

Ian,
Thank you for highlighting the thread of comments being posted today about Baldor motors. If you are also having problems, please let me know the specifics so we can take a closer look at the situation.

Thanks for the heads up,

Tracy

Tracy Long

Vice President Marketing

Baldor Electric Company

A Member of the ABB Group

5711 RS Boreham Jr Street

Fort Smith, AR 72901

Phone: 479.648.5769

Mobile: 479.462.7264

www.baldor.com

hillfarmer
Posted 10/4/2012 06:54 (#2622754 - in reply to #2622280)

I have to try again

Thanks
98mxz583
Posted 10/4/2012 07:31 (#2622797 - in reply to #2620975)

Traverse City MI
We talked to several people at Baldor. My brother even tales to the vp. Still no resolution. I went and bought a GE motor at tractor supply and that one is still working. I avoid them when possible.
ayrporte
Posted 10/4/2012 10:11 (#2623103 - in reply to #2622280)

Eastern Ont

Sorry Her Email     [email protected]

Tracy Long

Maybe if you use the name of the CEO in the same formatt you will get his attention

Edited by ayrporte 10/4/2012 10:13
dannyb
Posted 3/17/2014 08:46 (#3758754 - in reply to #2620975)

I have been using Baldor for 20+ years now. Since the ABB purchase of Baldor their quality of customer service has gone down. It is sometimes even hard to get hold of a tech to talk to. You just have to leave a message and hope that they will return the call.

My distributor has provided some help but I really needed help from the factory techs.

Electric_Motors
Posted 3/31/2014 14:57 (#3788435 - in reply to #2620975)
Subject: RE: Problems with baldor electric motors. TECHTOP is answer

USA
The problem is that Baldor uses very inexpensive aka cheap stationary and centrifugal mechanisms for its high torque Farm & Agricultural duty motors. The key to making a top notch single phase, ag & farm duty motor is to source the right components. I chain is as strong as its weakest link so no matter what wire and steel you put into the motor if the components are cheap the motor will perform poorly.
The best 1 phase, extra high torque, Cap Start, Cap run, manual thermal overload motor in the US right now is Techtop. They make from fractional to 10HP, extra high torque, dual cap, 1 phase, TEFC motors etc. Techtop uses TORQ stationary and centrifugal mechanisms, TYCO butt and ring connectors, Texas Instruments manual overloads etc. From what I have seen the Techtop is the best 1 phase, farm duty motor in the USA by far. Their website is www.techtopind.com

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Techtop Farm Duty agricultural Duty MOTORS.pdf (1395KB - 5607 downloads)
Electric_Motors
Posted 3/31/2014 15:44 (#3788486 - in reply to #3788435)

USA
fbfd ghghfghfhfghghh rtretrettrtrtterterttertetert
Ltfire
Posted 3/31/2014 16:16 (#3788538 - in reply to #3788435)

North Central Iowa

Electric_Motors - 3/31/2014 13:57 The problem is that Baldor uses very inexpensive aka cheap stationary and centrifugal mechanisms for its high torque Farm & Agricultural duty motors. The key to making a top notch single phase, ag & farm duty motor is to source the right components. I chain is as strong as its weakest link so no matter what wire and steel you put into the motor if the components are cheap the motor will perform poorly. The best 1 phase, extra high torque, Cap Start, Cap run, manual thermal overload motor in the US right now is Techtop. They make from fractional to 10HP, extra high torque, dual cap, 1 phase, TEFC motors etc. Techtop uses TORQ stationary and centrifugal mechanisms, TYCO butt and ring connectors, Texas Instruments manual overloads etc. From what I have seen the Techtop is the best 1 phase, farm duty motor in the USA by far. Their website is www.techtopind.com

You might be right, but that opinion would be more impressive coming from current users rather than a company employee.

Mike

JChamb
Posted 3/31/2014 22:07 (#3789350 - in reply to #2620975)

Iowa - Floyd County
Our older ones work great. Had a couple newer motors that didn't last. Our local electrician switched to A.O. Smith motors. We have several of them now and no problems.
graystonefarms
Posted 4/1/2014 05:31 (#3789641 - in reply to #2621098)

Maryland
Those chinese bearings from a couple of years ago were pretty bad. I had 4 new motors and the bearings went bad in the 1st year on all 4.
Creamer Metal
Posted 4/7/2014 08:12 (#3802009 - in reply to #2620975)

London, OH
Does anybody have any experience with WEG motors? I've noticed a switch in the OEM market from Baldor to them for several suppliers. I know Union Iron/HSI is using WEG and I believe Brock is switching to them for use in their dryers. I understand it's not a Made in the USA product.

Thanks,

Creamer Metal
Rina
Posted 10/7/2015 08:54 (#4827664 - in reply to #2621261)

I have been using WEG motors lately, they seem to holdup better in the envorimnent I have here (lots of humidity) and I have been able to save money over the long haul from lesser failures. Ive been getting these from here

https://www.mrosupply.com/motors/ac-motors/hvac-motors/1312748_00518...

graystonefarms
Posted 10/14/2015 00:42 (#4838844 - in reply to #2620975)

Maryland
Every single motor on every fan and auger had bearings replaced within first couple years. This from a system where the motors are kept dry and greased. Very disappointed in the junk that should have lasted for years! All of the money put into them and you still have spend more to get to last.
hillfarmer
Posted 10/14/2015 04:49 (#4838872 - in reply to #3788538)

Ltfire - 3/31/2014 17:16

Electric_Motors - 3/31/2014 13:57 The problem is that Baldor uses very inexpensive aka cheap stationary and centrifugal mechanisms for its high torque Farm & Agricultural duty motors. The key to making a top notch single phase, ag & farm duty motor is to source the right components. I chain is as strong as its weakest link so no matter what wire and steel you put into the motor if the components are cheap the motor will perform poorly. The best 1 phase, extra high torque, Cap Start, Cap run, manual thermal overload motor in the US right now is Techtop. They make from fractional to 10HP, extra high torque, dual cap, 1 phase, TEFC motors etc. Techtop uses TORQ stationary and centrifugal mechanisms, TYCO butt and ring connectors, Texas Instruments manual overloads etc. From what I have seen the Techtop is the best 1 phase, farm duty motor in the USA by far. Their website is www.techtopind.com

You might be right, but that opinion would be more impressive coming from current users rather than a company employee.

Mike

A guy dealing with Electricity, and can not post a link

http://www.techtopind.com/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)