AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cummins m11 starts then dies
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

healing
Posted 9/23/2012 17:21 (#2605574)
Subject: cummins m11 starts then dies

98 KW with a cummins m11 will start and run for 5 seconds then dies. Then you have to crank on the starter for 20 seconds for it to start again. After that it runs fine until you shut it off and then the same thing all over again. Any ideas? Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JonnyPop
Posted 9/23/2012 18:00 (#2605617 - in reply to #2605574)
Subject: Re: cummins m11 starts then dies

NW Iowa
did you check the antifreeze level?
milofarmer1
Posted 9/23/2012 18:00 (#2605622 - in reply to #2605574)

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
Coolant level or oil pressure sensor more than likely.
Bern
Posted 9/23/2012 19:21 (#2605721 - in reply to #2605574)
Subject: RE: cummins m11 starts then dies

Mount Vernon, WA
I can tell you what it is not: it is not coolant level or oil pressure or anything else like that, because it would run for 30 seconds and then die, not 5.

Straight from Cummins: "The CELECTâ„¢ Plus engines are equipped with an engine protection system. The system monitors critical engine temperatures and pressures, and will log diagnostic faults when an over or under normal operation condition occurs. If an out-of-range condition exists, and engine derate action is to be initiated, the operator will be alerted by an in-cab warning light. The warning light will blink or flash when out-of-range conditions continue to get worse. The driver must pull to the side of the road, when it is safe to do so, to reduce the possibility of engine damage.

NOTE: Engine power and speed will be gradually reduced, depending on the severity of the observed condition. The engine protection system will not shut down the engine unless the engine protection shutdown feature has been selected.

The engine protection shutdown feature automatically shuts off the engine when the temperature, pressure, and coolant level sensors indicate the engine is operating over or under normal operating conditions.

The engine protection lamp in the cab will flash for 30 seconds prior to shutdown to alert the driver."

I would be looking for a loss of fuel prime when it sits overnight. Loose fuel fitting, loose fuel filter, hole rubbed in suction hose, something like that.

championized
Posted 9/23/2012 21:01 (#2605903 - in reply to #2605574)

Edson, Alberta / Ormstown, Quebec
I'll be watching this one with interest as I have a '97 International 2574 with a Cummins L10 that is doing the same thing. For the last couple of weeks it starts, runs a couple of seconds, dies and won't restart unless I either crank a long time or give it a bit of throttle. I've checked the fuel system right back to the tank and can't find any place that it may be draining back or sucking air. Non computer engine so it's not that. Once it does start it is fine, but every time it is shut off, it is the same thing to restart it, even if it is 10 seconds later.
sdan27
Posted 9/23/2012 21:25 (#2605964 - in reply to #2605574)

I would suggest to hook a seperate fuel line to the filter inlet and run it into a 5 gallon bucket with fuel in it and see if it does the same thing. That should help you tell where the problem is. If the engine does have an ECM, Cummins will often run the fuel through cooling plates on the computer to keep it cool so those could be leaking causing it to suck air.
4WD
Posted 9/23/2012 21:57 (#2606050 - in reply to #2605903)

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

I think both you guys should get some sight glasses on the supply and return fuel lines and watch for air or combustion gases in those sight glasses, during cranking and just after it begins to run.

Here's a couple photos , I found on the web.

(sight glass.jpg)

(fuel system sight glasses.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sight glass.jpg (6KB - 1213 downloads)
Attachments fuel system sight glasses.jpg (87KB - 1230 downloads)
rcfynrdt
Posted 9/23/2012 21:59 (#2606058 - in reply to #2605574)

Central Iowa
your getting air in your fuel filter. put new seal kits and glasses on the fuel filter and problem will go away. start the truck watch the fuel filter if you are getting bubbles while its running than that is your definately your problem.
730diesel
Posted 9/23/2012 22:25 (#2606146 - in reply to #2605574)

NE ND
I have a M11 in a 98 IH 8100 that does that exact same thing every now and then. I have two or three seals from like fuel conditioner bottles, etc, floating in the tank. I have a piece of hose in the truck, unhook the line at the top of the tank, slide the hose over, blow back into the tank, and it starts and may not act up for six months. The must get sucked up into the fuel outlet. When it does, it runs for 5-10 seconds and dies. Funny that you bring this up as it happened yesterday, probably first time in a year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)