AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Food and Chemical Toxicology study about gmo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/19/2012 23:11 (#2600009 - in reply to #2599702)
Subject: my take on the article

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Thanks for the link, Ed.

Here is what I take to be a key statement from your link describing the report:

Gilles-Eric Seralini of the University of Caen and colleagues said rats fed on a diet containing NK603 - a seed variety made tolerant to dousings of Roundup - or given water containing Roundup at levels permitted in the United States [emphasis mine] died earlier than those on a standard diet.

As I understand it, these rats were fed a diet from birth to death of RR corn seed AND only drinking water which contains the maximum allowable concentration of Roundup.

It appears to me there are two completely different factors in this experiment: the drinking water laced with Roundup and the RR corn seed. These are two different experiments, probably done this way to insure achieving the desired results. My interpretation of the link is that the rats were fed both.

While the results may sound like they are related to GMO corn,  I suggest that the results may have been more related to being fed only drinking water with Roundup in it!  Sounds like they need to redo the experiments separately. Should not be that hard to do. And someone else try to replicate the results of two separate experiments, which is usually what is done.

Eating RR gmo corn or drinking water laced with liquid RU/glypho the rats' entire life seem totally unrelated to me.  I spray my corn once when it is about 6-12" tall . The grain is never in contact with liquid RU/glypho.  There is no reason exposure to liquuid should be related to eating gmo corn, in my opinion.

So we are supposed to grow non-gmo corn and spray it with a cocktail of different much more toxic herbicides???

I would not doubt that the allowable level of RU in drinking water may be set too high for continuous, lifetime consumption and is the likely cause of the results which were not separated and ascribed to eating corn vs drinking RU water.

Just my take on the article.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 9/19/2012 23:26
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)