AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

organics opposition
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mike Shimek
Posted 9/13/2012 10:33 (#2589042 - in reply to #2587461)
Subject: Organic Propaganda in my opinion.......

High Springs, Florida

http://www.organicvalley.coop/why-organic/overview/

From the website, comments are mine in italics:

1. Nutrient density.

Organic farmers nourish the soil that feeds our food. Research shows that organically-produced foods are higher in antioxidants and other nutrients than their conventional counterparts.

Is there a difference between "nourish" and fertilize? What research? None is quoted.

2. No persistent pesticides or synthetic fertilizers.

Designed by intent to kill living organisms, persistent pesticides can be harmful to wildlife and human health, especially as they contaminate our food, air and water or accumulate in our cells. Synthetic fertilizers require large quantities of fossil fuels to produce, and contribute to soil degradation and ocean dead zones. 

Really? What good is a pesticide if it doesn't kill anything? Water can be harmful to wildlife and human health too. So can your lawnmower. Anything we use, in daily life can be harmful in some way or another. Synthetic fertilizers require large quantities of fossil fuel to produce? So does gasoline and diesel fuel. 

There are more bullet points, I could go on, but it would be boring. We have heard it all before, go to the website to read up on how wonderful organic stuff is. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)