AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

organics opposition
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 9/12/2012 22:00 (#2588226 - in reply to #2587700)
Subject: RE: Organic rules

Little River, TX
Organic rules are based on the supposition by Rodale that if it comes from the ground, its natural and healthy, if its made in a factory its unsafe while being unnatural.

This is more to this than one would think. 
Rodale did much of or all his work in Pennsylvania soils.  What is true for PA is not completely true for Alabama, let alone Texas or Iowa.
We have much the same problem with University research The findings for NY, WI,  &  CA do not necessarily agree. In fact the information from TAMU does not apply fully in the soils HERE. 
Useful information but not a direct transfer of methods.

The Vegtable growers around San Antonio get by using Rock phosphate becouse they band the rock phosphate in a slot along with a good helping of elemental sulfur.

About 5 years ago I had a couple of Dairy Goat hay customers shift to certified organic.  Believe me there is a difference between organicly grown and certified organic.
It was thought possible to grow certified organic alfalfa with very little yield drag and some reasonable records. 
That turned out to be not true.
There is a whole lot of Flim Flam in the rules for certified organic, as they apply to THESE soils in THIS climate.

If you wonder why the out right animosity towards the "Organic" industry it is their attitude problem.  
There is much the same attitude within the organic ranks as there is in the global warming cadre.

Quote Ben
I don't choose to grow organic, but those that do earn every bit of premium there is. Never has a truer statement come from the West Coast. I wish they could do a little better weed control next to me, but as long as they don't try and make a buffer strip on my side I won't complain.
-----
Show a farmer a profit, and he will show you a surplus. This is a true statement. 

William J. Le Petomane for President. 
It is unfortunate that old William J's name is not on the November ballot.
I will have vote for him as a write in.

Have a Grand & Glorious Season, present and future. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)