AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

organics opposition
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

kscropguy
Posted 9/12/2012 20:42 (#2588001 - in reply to #2587461)
Subject: Re: organics opposition

Central Kansas
Funny story here. Neighbor has turned in local spray companies twice for killing his "organic" tomatoes. Last year he planted around march 15(in beds). Tomatoes mysteriously died a couple weeks later. State ag guy came out to investigate and asks the guy whether it could have been frost since he said he never covered them once above the mulch. Local asked why? State guy said he couldn't hardly control himself from laughing. So fast forward to this year. Tomatoes planted with more care. Tomatoes come up and die again. State gets called. This time records show chemicals sprayed close by and maybe caused the problem so retailer gets slapped on the wrist but state guy is thinking something still isnt right so does some more digging. State guy tests manure that's being used for fertilizer and finds picloram (tordon) residue. Once again local is miffed as to why that should be a problem because after all manure is natural.
I don't have a problem with organic in general but it would be nice if they were neighborly. I've dinged/killed edges of fields but we always visit with the neighbors when it happens and work it out. Around here the organic growers call the state if they see a sprayer within a mile of the field. I also have seen over a million acres of custom application using all kinds of products within feet of people's gardens but only worked one complaint of killing anything off target.

The organic crops have a place and people that want to spend money on them are more than welcome to but like the others said lets do it without the myths perpetuated of higher quality better products. Let's face it it's a feel good situation. Organic farmers are doing it to make money just like the rest of us.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)