AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting old is not going to be fun is it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

GoldenLeaf
Posted 9/10/2012 16:22 (#2584598)
Subject: Getting old is not going to be fun is it?

Eastern NC
Last night I had a lengthy visit with one of my grandmothers who has been in the hospital for about a week. I am her oldest grandson and my daughter is her only great grandchild at this point so right now I seem to be her favorite. During our visit the nurse brought in her supper and she just seemed to stare at it for a while. I did not want to make her feel uncomfortable but I could tell that she did not have the strength to eat by herself. I offered to help her and she reluctantly accepted my offer. She has always been a very independant woman. After feeding her a bowl of lemon pudding and some chicken that was cut up in small enough pieces to feed a mouse I began to think about all of the things that I take for granted. Sometimes we have no idea what we are throwing away when we let life pass us by at the speed of light. It seems as if it was no time ago when she was Superwoman in my eyes and I could never have imagined that one day I would have to feed her with a spoon. I am very fortunate to have two grandmothers still living but it is very tough to watch them lose their independance. The other one has dementia and she does not know my name most of the time now. Sorry if I have shared too much emotion here but I am simply trying to remind everyone, whether you are the grandparent or the grandchild, do not pass on things that are important because you will not get those days back. I would give anything to have both of those ladies back in the condition where they could call me on the phone and tell me that they could not get the lawnmower to start and they need my help on a day that I had 100 other things to do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)