AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tell me about White 445 disc chisels
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

150pilot
Posted 8/24/2012 08:37 (#2555941 - in reply to #2555761)
Subject: Re: Tell me about White 445 disc chisels

New London, Wisconsin
I had a White 435, same thing with a little different spacing. I moved my shanks around to make it the same as the 445. It was a good reliable disk chisel with a couple of things noted that are maybe typical of any chisel of that weight and design. First it's not a subsoiler and of limited value for hooking out a compaction layer deeper than 8 - 10 inches or so. I know it's not meant for that, but inevitably you find a spot where you want to try to go as deep as you can. When doing that mine would waddle side to side alternately catching part of the plow layer and rising out of it. In seconds you know this is not good for it and change depth. Secondly was it did leave more ridge than I like to see. I was able to work it out in the spring, but where the alternate passes meet it will be noticeable. You can minimize that by making the passes a bit father apart or by simply raising the disk gangs more. I bought it new around 1990 or so and had it for a dozen years or so. I would guess that for bean ground with the gangs just slicing the stubble instead of windrowing soil it would be great. We only did corn stalks with mine and left the bean stubble alone until spring. I pulled a 15 footer with an IH 4386. It was overkill but it's what I had and I could throttle back a bit and had good fuel economy. Some of these units had a row of DMI sub tiller shanks on the back row. Mine did not. That would have changed everything I mentioned above. The reason I bought it was I needed something to get 200+ bu/acre stalks worked up without plugging. It did that well once you learned how to set the disk depth. Half way always worked the best. I hope this is helpful.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)