AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CAT pony motor/diesel starting problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 8/24/2012 19:57 (#2556791 - in reply to #2556734)
Subject: Re: CAT pony motor/diesel starting problem

Faunsdale, AL
yes it does and you're right.

Those little sintered bronze disks seem to last a very long time running in oil. I don't think I have ever heard of them needing to be replaced on any old tractors, just adjust the clutch for a light snap engage. The cross section I put up was a solution dealing with the brake or lack of braking provided by pushing the lever hard to the back of the tractor. This stops the pinion from windmilling along and grinding every time you engage it into the flywheel. A simple solution for one that wants to grind is to drain the oil, wash the compartment with diesel or kerosene, drain it and refill with ATF of some description. The ATF helps the brakes and clutch work better and still provides enough lubrication for the bearings.

On the lubrication, it's important that this compartment be kept full of oil or ATF since it is slung up into the front of the pony motor and lubricates the gears which drive the camshaft as well as the pinion drive gears, and magneto drive. There is an oil seal on the crankshaft that keeps the motor oil from reaching those gears.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)