AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pastureing wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Prohay
Posted 8/3/2012 17:07 (#2520575 - in reply to #2520402)
Subject: Re: pastureing wheat

No Mans Land , Cimarron co. OK.
When we have wheat pasture we try to plant it late august then turn the center pivots on dont shut off until it has tillers growing good. it never rains in the panhandle of oklahoma ? preplant fertilizer, try to plant each circle 2 differnt directions with same rate as 1st trip accross. Around this area there are lots of wheat pasture cavles , stockers and light feeders 75 #. to 90 # per acre is common tighter ground late summer seeding . Later in the season we will step it up to 120 # @ My stocking rate on about 290 to 325 lbs of beef per acre if I am going to take them into heavy feeders, Last few years been just leasing it all out and makes my life lots easier , let someone esle be out in it blowing dirt storms and blowing snow tending to them, my money is about the same , got plenty to do as it is so it works for me .Wheat is a very tough and hardy plant if it has a drink along the way,We been running wheat pasture cattle for 35+ years some good some bad, On the seed wheat , we clean our own run a couple thousand bushels back thur the sieves on a r-62 gleaner does a nice job cleaning .
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)