AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Timpte vs Wilson vs Cornhusker
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bgunzy
Posted 10/16/2007 17:30 (#220617)
Subject: Timpte vs Wilson vs Cornhusker

Humeston, IA

This could into a Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate, but...

Am looking at grain trailers.  Would like a lightweight, good pulling and strong trailer (impossible?).  This trailer will haul corn, soybeans, DDGS, SBM, soy hull pellets, and dry gluten pellets.  It will be matched with a lightweight Intl 9200 daycab weighing around 14,800 lbs.  The goal is to haul 1000 bu corn or 930 bu soybeans legally at 80K.

A lot of Timpte and Wilson around here; newer ones have ag hoppers.  Haven't seen many Cornhuskers, but have read they are very lightweight.  Am concerned, however, about their side stakes being on the outside, possibly causing wind drag.  Any reality to this concern?  Could a 42' Timpte or Wilson air ride be around 9000# or less?

Thanks for any information.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
combinejockey
Posted 10/16/2007 17:40 (#220621 - in reply to #220617)
Subject: RE: Timpte vs Wilson vs Cornhusker

My brother and I purchased a Dakota all aluminum 41.5 ft trailer. So far it seems very well built and we are happy with how the traps open and close.. It weighs around 8400 lbs but is a spring ride. A 9400 day cab with a N-14 and half tank of fuel weighs right at 25600. The deciding factor for us was the price, almost 6000 less than a Timpte or Wilson, resale might be a issue in the future but not planning on selling it anyway, maybe add another trailer in a couple years time.
mike in sw mn
Posted 10/16/2007 18:22 (#220639 - in reply to #220617)
Subject: Re: Timpte vs Wilson vs Cornhusker

Walnut Grove MN USA
Since you are hauling DDGS and soy hulls you need a big trailer, and big doors and no ag hopper. They flatten the slope for those and you don't want that with DDGS. As far as weight they are all pretty close right now. Husker will pull harder with the outside stakes but can be bought with a outside skin that looks really sharp with some graphics on it. Last I heard the Timpte was cheaper than a Wilson, don't know how a husker compares. Better look for a 84 inch sidewall.
bgunzy
Posted 10/16/2007 18:32 (#220645 - in reply to #220639)

Humeston, IA
Mike, I've been having DDGS hauled for me in either a Wilson standard hoppor or ag hopper, 66" tall sides. We can get 25+ tons on them; one time had 26.5 tons. The ag hopper actually worked pretty well for DDGS, believe it or not; it had air ride, which may have made a difference. Product flowed out like water. If DDGS is around 32 lbs/ft^3, I'd need a 1750 ft^3 capacity trailer for 28 tons. 72" or 78" 43' Wilson appears to cover that.
Brian Barinsky
Posted 10/16/2007 18:50 (#220654 - in reply to #220645)
Subject: Really ? 25 ton on a 66" with ag hoppers?

I'm a sceptic and have hauled hundreds, yes hundred(s) of loads of DDG's at 12.5 % moisture or less from 4 different ethanol plants and NOT one of them would EVER fit into a trailer speced' like that. Where are you getting them, what is the moisture, and have you verified the weight ! ? With a trailer like that I'd expect 20-21 tons MAX. Please share. I do know moisture is a BIG factor. DDG is supposed to be sold at 12% or less. We use a Timpte 43', Standard traps, 78" sides, 102" wide, 27 tons is FULL! New Timpte speced' like this was $38,250 last month. Works well for DDG. Really like the big doors.
Brian Barinsky
Posted 10/16/2007 18:52 (#220655 - in reply to #220654)
Subject: 8900# aluminum sub frame empty wt.

NT
Don NMO
Posted 10/16/2007 18:56 (#220661 - in reply to #220645)

The Original Lock Springs Rver Rat

Several things to consider gunzy. First if you are going to use the trailer around the farm and will be dumping over a swing hopper you for sure want the ag hoppers,most of the others wont have enough clearance,you can make them work but you wont be happy I assure you.

The Cornhusker is a lighter trailer,but really meant for commercial haulers who stay on the hwy.They wont take the abuse around the farm like a wilson or tempte,and they cost way more money at least when new.

Also depending on how many miles you plan on running the truck,I would  not necessarily be looking for the lightest truck.A short wheel base truck will ride like a bucking bronco compared to a longer wheel base truck,so for anything but short runs I would pay more for a longer wheel base truck.You can still find some light weight day cabs with a longer wheel base that are not that much more weight.

I have owned several wilsons a tempte and a Dakota,and even leased a Cornhusker one fall. My preference is the 41' wilson  commander which has the front and back sloped back,makes them easier to climb up probably less wind resistance and less weight than the pacesetter.

We have three of them the air ride will be about the same weight as the spring trailer if you put aluminum wheels on it.

Hope this helps

Edited by Don NMO 10/16/2007 20:24
mike in sw mn
Posted 10/16/2007 18:59 (#220664 - in reply to #220645)

Walnut Grove MN USA
DDGS are going to be changing over the next couple of years. Uncle picked up a load at Scotland, SD out of POET's ethanol plant there that does a lot of experimenting with new processes. This stuff filled up a big trailer and barely made weight. Our uneducated guess was it didn't have any syrup added back to it. First load I ever hauled of the stuff in a spring ride trailer took me 3 hours to unload just the front hopper and it was a hot day and I don't like heat. DDGS vary quite a bit between plants so if a 72 or 78 works for you great, save some weight.
jeff gordon
Posted 10/16/2007 19:02 (#220667 - in reply to #220617)
Subject: price comparision

Mather, Manitoba
So what's the price comparision of the three units specd out with the same options.

jeff
back from Ireland
scmn_06
Posted 10/16/2007 20:18 (#220704 - in reply to #220661)

Blue Earth, MN
Commander is a nice trailer, what reasons do Wilson have for having both style trailers?
jde
Posted 10/16/2007 21:01 (#220725 - in reply to #220621)

NC
You will not be sorry. I've had a alum Dakota hopper for 5-6 years now. No problems other than the crappy New Firestone Tires that I specified come on it. They started blowing out & seperating all within a matter of 2 months. Only had 2/32s tread wore off, 3 years of use when they started failing and Firestone would not make NOT one of them good and they carried a 5 year warranty!!! I counted up before I met the Firestone rep, and I had over 65 of their brand on numerous pieces and they where my first choice for most any application. Needless to say, no more!

I tried to buy another Dakota this spring but my pocketbook was stretched already. Now with the crops we where blesed with here, I wish i hada. I bought direct from Pat Cody before and although he had sold the Hawkeye Manufactoring now, he was still selling for them through this year. Nice, honest guy IMO. Makes a nice trailer too, and he said the new guy had made some improvements? jde
bigaljack
Posted 10/16/2007 21:31 (#220769 - in reply to #220704)

Bartlett TX
thats what i always wondered
MOjeeper
Posted 10/16/2007 21:37 (#220777 - in reply to #220704)

NEMO
I'm guessing cause our neighbors liked one style and we like the other? Matter of choice and we save 100# by getting the commander!

As far as the side things on the commander you won't notice a diffrence, leased we don't on our 42' Merrit.
Don NMO
Posted 10/16/2007 21:38 (#220780 - in reply to #220769)

The Original Lock Springs Rver Rat
I asked my dealer and he said it was just a matter of what a person liked the looks of.At that time I think the pacsetter out sold the commander five to one. Makes no sense to me.
bulldog
Posted 10/16/2007 22:03 (#220816 - in reply to #220780)

I always heard that Wilson bought the commander line of trailers and kept the style. Tell me if I am wrong, I have no idea.
bosshogg88
Posted 10/16/2007 22:38 (#220874 - in reply to #220667)
Subject: RE: price comparision

Ontario
If you want one to last a lifetime, get a titan trailer. they are a little heavy, but a tandom hopper will last 30 years with a little paint on the axels!!!!!!!

www.titantrailers.com
OHIO-FARMBOY®
Posted 10/16/2007 23:51 (#220955 - in reply to #220816)

South-Western Ohio
If my memory is correct,Wilson bought the Commander trailer off of Chamberlain several yrs ago.They might of been a partial owner before the buyout.I always liked the sloped ends myself also.Randy. 
dakota boy
Posted 10/17/2007 00:04 (#220968 - in reply to #220617)

SE SD
We had a timpte that was very good for the age but did not like the hopper clearance, and a wilson to go on the other semi, we liked the wilson but it had 4 trap openers so it was kind of a pain. In Jan of 2007 we bought a new Jet and thought it was the best, but about 2 weeks ago our other upgrade was a Dakota and boy did we think the Jet hoppers opened easily, the dakota is so much easier and we don't have to give the elevator guys the crank since they have the t handles one them. Most of the elevatrord have all the cranks on hand but they do not have the new jets so I have to get out of the cab and give them the crank. The guys at the elevator have sommented that the dakota has the best cranking hopper out there even after they cranked the Jet. I think we will get another Dakota for the 3rd semi in the future. My brothers did not like the way you could see the welds on the Dakota vs. the painted Jet, but after unloading both they like the dakota better, although they are both very good trailers. We paid 26000 for the dakota 2 weeks ago and 26500 for the Jet in Jan of 2007. The dealer in Yankton is about 2200 cheaper for a new Dakota vs. anyone else.
Ray (ecks)
Posted 10/17/2007 00:16 (#220987 - in reply to #220617)

IMHO for a farm use, Timpte or Wilson and it just depends on your own preference. For us we run Timpte. We've got a 78x96 and a 78x102. Neither of them have ag hoppers and we got along just fine unloading into a swing away for many years. I'd hate to go to the ag hoppers if I was going to haul much meal or hulls. DDG would probably run out and pelleted mids wouldn't be a problem either.

Capacity wise I only know about what we've hauled here. The only things the 96" trailer can get completely loaded on are corn, soybeans, pelleted mids and sbm. Even with meal the 102 trailer is so much nicer, especially on a longer haul because the big door will let it start falling out and open up easier.

The 102 can get loaded on ddg and it's not quite full, if I have it full it will gross about 83000 with a T600 aerocab on it, empty weight is int he upper 28's depending on fuel. With bulk mids even if you shake it down and round it up we can only gross about 76000, I've never hauled bean hulls, but I know a man with a 12' tall walking floor that says he can fill it and still not be loaded.

Maybe some places are different, but if someone is saying they get 25 T of ddg on a 66" trailer I'd be checking them on a scale of my choice. Not sure if you could even do it if you walked the sides down.

Everyone has his favorite, but one of the guys we run with has been running a Cornhusker for the last 3 years, his new one coming in March is a Timpte. His comment was it wasn't worth putting up with the Cornhusker just to save the weight. This is from a professional who has had a hopper on the road 5 days a week for 20 plus years.

We watched this fall to make sure we had room to get under the wagon with a taller trailer and it won't be a problem so we decided that our next one this spring will be an 84x102 Timpte. It also won't hurt on crosstown loads where we can stay inside the commercial zone either.
bgunzy
Posted 10/17/2007 10:40 (#221222 - in reply to #220654)

Humeston, IA
DDGS was dry, heaped up to the hoops. One trailer, the spring ride Wilson w/standard hoppers, 43' x 66" or 72", we can get 26.5 tons on it. The A/R Wilson, 43' x 66" w/ag hoppers, we've hauled one load at 25.2 tons. This is DDGS coming out of Lincolnway Energy at Nevada, IA. I got one load in the A/R ag hopper trailer and another load in the spring ride within days of each other and unloaded them both. The DDGS in the A/R ag hopper slide out really well, better than the spring ride standard hopper.

The weight is verified as it is weighed at the plant and when I sell it. And yes, I've sold hundreds of tons of DDGS this year, personally unloading about 600 tons. On cold days the stuff unloads pretty well, but on warm days, or when the DDGS is hot out of the plant, it takes longer to unload. We use a 10 feet long re-rod to poke "rat holes" in the stuff, then use a seed sign stake to poke the rest out. Wish I had a vibrator or two!
bgunzy
Posted 10/17/2007 10:42 (#221224 - in reply to #220661)

Humeston, IA
Don, the Intl we're getting has a 174" wheel base. It does have A/R suspension and cab. Former Ruan truck.
rons
Posted 10/18/2007 21:20 (#222405 - in reply to #220617)

IOWA
if i were you iwould buy a JET CO the others are ok'but our ethanol plant operators tell me they prefer a jet . The doors work nice and the have rounded hoppers that dump fast. Plus theyare light weight.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)