AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

6 year old with listening/paying attention issues...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 7/22/2012 09:19 (#2499422 - in reply to #2498836)
Subject: Re: 6 year old with listening/paying attention issues...

Thumb of Michigan
hillfarmer - 7/21/2012 21:13

Ours came around when we took the food that he is allergic to

away from him

I think we have both participated in these ADD discussions before.

I'm not going to get on my stump, but if ADHD is the issue, no one is going to "beat" it out of the child.

In the case of my step son: my wife had found a book many years ago- my step son was then around 2 yrs old- that suggested that some foods or additives might exacerbate a behavior problem in kids with ADHD. She tried a lot of different things, and finally hit on the right combination. Artificial colors and flavors light a fire that no amount of yelling, spanking, or time outs are going to control. An amazingly small dose of Red #2 will cause a couple of hours of out of control fireworks that everyone just has to ride out. By the time my step son was 5, he could read and understand food labels. He didn't like being out of control any more than we did. Next issue we had was at school. Especially during holiday seasons when there might be candy and snacks in class. Some teachers (usually the younger ones) understood that he just wasn't going to be able to eat a lot of the goodies. Some didn't, and then were shocked when he misbehaved. Just like we told them he would. Far as school goes, everything came to a head one day when he was in 5th grade. Principal wanted him on Ritalin, wife ( an RN) wanted the teacher to quit pushing the kid to eat crap at Halloween parties. Before the talk was over, my wife really wanted to see the principals medical license, as the Principal was sure that Ritalin has no side effects. Everything has side effects- its irresponsible to suggest otherwise. And just because someone has a degree (in this case, the Principal) allowing them to teach first grade, that doesn't mean they have a medical degree. A kid on Ritalin is a kid who causes no problems. Kid doesn't learn much, but I guess thats not the important thing to some. Not knocking all teachers at all, just the ones who are too quick to take the easy way out.

As it turns out, I have a couple of Grand Kids with milder intolerance's to colors and flavors. Watching their food intake has helped them as well.

I have pretty severe allergies to some things. Soybean dust will ( and has) closed my throat up to the point that I'm ready to pass out. If I thought that could be spanked out of me, I'd welcome it. Don't work that way.

It will cost you very little (if anything) to do things with your child like trying to eliminate some potential problem foods. Don't need a prescription, and the chances of side effects are pretty small. For example: If the kid is being pretty good, you let him or her have a hand full of Skittles, and the kid goes out of control, I think I'd take Skittles out of the diet. Or whatever other food causes issues. If diet doesn't affect the problem, then some other plan is in order.

Edited by pat-michigan 7/22/2012 11:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)