AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shop Wall Tin
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jdflyer
Posted 7/18/2012 05:35 (#2491930 - in reply to #2491230)
Subject: Re: Shop Wall Tin

Centralia, MO
It's really hard to figure out the acoustics particularly with different shapes, size, flat or pitched ceilings, etc. Here's one experience I can relate however. My neighbor and I have identical hog buildings literally built from the same blueprints. The ceilings as originally built were a plastic sheeting the builder called try-ply supported by fiberglass straps. The insulation on top of this made it sag a few inches between each truss (set 4' OC). Well a storm came along and took the roof off of one of my neighbor's barns and it was rebuilt replacing the plastic with a solid steel ceiling. The difference in noise is astounding. The hog noise goes from a noticeable background noise in the try-ply barns to a deafening roar in the steel ceiling barn. You can stand outside the buildings and hear the difference. That said the hog buildings are shaped quite different than a shop and it may not be quite the same difference in a shop, but I would consider some acoustical panels somewhere.

Another experience from a different angle. Morton built a multi-purpose building at our county fairgrounds that has a meeting room. They use solid steel all around. When first built, you literally could not hear a presenter no matter how much they amplified. With 50 to 100 people in the room, you couldn't hear yourself think. Shortly after it was built someone hired an expert to fix the problem and they installed 8 ft tall fabric acoustic panels all around the sidewalls. This largely solved the problem although there is still some echo off the flat ceiling. For reference, this room is probably about 60x80 with 15 foot ceilings or about the same as a lot of shops.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)